While living in the age of technology, we share almost everything about our lives on social media. With the increasing popularity of social media platforms, the risk of cybercrime is also growing. Nowadays, it is quite common for hackers to tamper with users’ devices and accounts. It is crucial to secure your social account whether you are using it for personal needs or business. To protect you from such unauthorized alterations, social media companies design an extra layer of protection that is more than using a strong password for your social media app accounts. This security measure is known as Two-Factor Authentication (2FA for short).
It is a security method using two different ways to ensure users’ identity. In 2FA, you have to enter your password and username. Then instead of getting access, it requires another piece of information like a code. You can receive this code on your phone number or email address. You can also install an authenticator app on your mobile device that is most convenient for you. After linking to your social app account, you can get a stream of random codes generated by the app whenever you need. So, you have to enter the code whenever you will Login again.
Here you can find ways to enable 2FA on social media platforms.
To enable Two-Step Verification on WhatsApp, open the app
- Go to settings.
- Select Account
- Click Two-Step Verification and set it.
You have to enter your phone number or email with your pin whenever you register your WhatsApp again. Visit pondband.net for more information about social media applications.
To set Two-factor Authentication on Facebook
- Go to Facebook’s Settings
- Select Security and Login
- Select Use Two-Factor Authentication and click on the Edit.
You can choose Use Authentication App or Use Text Message (SMS).
By default, Facebook uses the Authentication app, but you can also go for SMS.
Twitter also has this security measure for its users. But it varies on how you use this app.
- For the web, go to Twitter’s side menu and click Setting and Privacy.
- For the Twitter app, go to the profile icon on the upper-left and select Setting and Privacy.
- Go to your Facebook account and select the Security option
- Click on Two-Factor Authentication and pick your preferred method.
Twitter has three options: Text Message, Authentication app, or Security Key. Enter a password for the first two methods. The security key is a USB based piece for hardware. You have to activate one of the previous options to use it.
You can protect your Instagram account using 2FA, open the app on your mobile device.
- Tap on the profile icon
- Then tap the hamburger menu on the upper-right side
- Click on the Security
- Scroll down to Security and then look for Two-Factor Authentication
Like other apps, Instagram also has the Authentication App and Text Message option, choose any of them.
Snapchat gives priority to its users’ privacy. To set Two-Factor Authentication, open the Snapchat app.
- Go on the profile icon on the upper-left corner
- Then click on the setting (the gear icon) in the upper-right corner.
- Scroll down to Two-Factor Authentication
With Login Verification enabled, you required a password and verification code to login to a new device.
By setting up Two-Factor Authentication, your social app will be safer to use.