Sleep is the time when our body undergoes healing and repair works so that we wake up feeling fresh and energetic. Poor sleep is also the cause of several mental and physical ailments in the body. Due to this reason, sleep is very important for the overall health of an individual.
Maintaining good sleep hygiene in terms of sleep duration, sleeping accessories and lifestyle habits play a significant role in good sleep and health. In this article, we will discuss the significance of good sleep.
What Happens When You Sleep?
When a person gets a sound and peaceful sleep, then their brain eliminates toxic elements from neurons. On the contrary, if you do not get proper Sleep disorders then these toxic elements will stay in the brain and results in an impaired thought process. This makes it important to sleep for at least 6 to 8 hours daily.
What Are The Effects Of Poor Sleep?
Lack of sleep for an extended period can lead to several types of health issues in the body. They take up the form of critical health ailments such as Type 2 Diabetes, obesity, and severe heart disease. The body secretes a greater amount of stress hormones when a person is deprived of proper sleep.
This causes one to feel irritated, fussy, drowsy and stressed easily. To save from these undesirable consequences of sleep deprivation, the body needs to get at least six hours of sleep. It will do wonders to the mind and body.
Also, a good sleep makes your mind capable of managing emotions easily and staying calm under challenging conditions. In this way, it increases work efficiency and productivity in the workplace.
What Are The Good Sleep Habits That Help Improve Sleep Quality?
Having learned about the importance of sleep, let us now look at some of the good sleep habits to improve sleep quality.
- Stay away from sleep-inducing agents as it interferes with the natural sleeping process and prevents the release of toxins from the brain. Some examples of sleep-promoting agents are sleeping pills, cough syrups, etc.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and other chemicals as they can reduce the sleep quality of a person. These work as a stimulant that hampers the sleep cycles in a person. Do not consume any of these things three hours before going to sleep.
- Avoid blue light-emitting gadgets at night time. These devices have a short wavelength that impacts the overall energy level, sleep, and mood of the person.
- Maintain consistency in the sleep cycle. It will help you extensively improve the energy and concentration level of a person.
- Use of the right sleeping accessories and undisturbed sleep helps get a peaceful sleep during the nighttime. For example, not using a sagging mattress.
- Transform your bedroom into a comfortable sleep-inducing environment. A cool, well-ventilated, dark, and tranquil environment promotes sound rest. Wear earplugs to lower the outside noise. Alternatively, you can also use a “white noise” appliance to cut outside noises. Use blackout shades, an eye mask, and heavy curtains to shut light from entering the room. Maintain a comfortably cool temperature of between 60 and 75°F.
How Does Buying A Good Mattress Improve Your Sleep?
The right mattress is also very crucial in getting good sleep. Ensure that your bedroom is equipped with a comfortable pillow and mattress. If your mattress is over ten years, then you should replace it with a new one. Nowadays, you can get best rated mattresses with several innovative technologies.
A temperature-regulating property comes with a transcendent, cellular, sustainable, and open system that offers the best level of comfort and ventilation to a sleeper. This mattress is based on cooling technologies that direct moisture and heat away from the body. In this way, it results in a healthy and better sleep with optimum support.
Sleep is one of the important sources of energy. Looking at the benefits of good sleep, there is nothing worth engaging in during nights besides sleep. So, follow the above rules of sleep hygiene to keep ourselves fit and healthy.