Mold Testing – Is It Necessary If I Can See Mold Growth?

Mold testing answers inspections are generally visual and do not involve sampling. On occasion, however, inspectors may decide to utilize moisture meters and air quality tests.

Always attempt to identify and eliminate the source of mold infestation, or else it will simply return.

What is mold?

Mold inspection Charleston is a fungus that thrives in damp, humid environments – both indoors and out. It feeds on organic material like plants or decayed organic matter that have decayed; wood products; building materials etc. As there are various species of molds ranging in colours (black mold is commonly known for producing mycotoxins which can cause health issues), “black mold” refers to one strain in particular called Stachybotrys chartarum which produces mycotoxins which may cause serious health effects when exposed over extended periods.

Home inspectors can typically detect visible signs of mold or detect potential mold issues, such as musty smells. Unfortunately, home inspectors aren’t trained to discover hidden mold or water damage behind walls, under floorboards, in basements and crawlspaces.

An experienced mold inspector services specialist should conduct a full and detailed mold inspection, including testing to ascertain whether there are hazardous levels of spores present in the air.

What are the symptoms of mold?

Mold exposure symptoms may range from mild to severe depending on the type and health status of an individual. Most symptoms begin when inhaled mold spores cause irritation of respiratory system as well as eyes, skin, nose, throat or lungs irritated by these spores causing headaches and migraines.

If you suspect mold in your home, it’s imperative that you act swiftly. Mold can spread rapidly without detection and cause serious health concerns for both yourself and your family – as well as irreparable damage to the structure itself.

As with anything, keeping your home as dry as possible is the key to preventing mold growth. To do this, promptly clean up any spills or leaks and inspect for damp or water damaged areas in your house; using a dehumidifier and increasing ventilation are also helpful measures. If you suspect you have mold growth in your home, consulting with a professional for testing and treatment may also help; an inspection should include pinpointing sources of moisture since otherwise mold will return!

What is the cause of mold?

Mold growth often indicates a problem with water or moisture. Mold feeds on various materials found in buildings such as drywall, carpets, and insulation and ceiling tiles before disseminating its spores into the air causing breathing difficulties for those susceptible.

Mold spores can be found both indoors and outdoors; they thrive wherever there is moisture, oxygen and organic material present. Outdoors, mold plays an integral part of nature by decomposing dead plants and animals to create fertile ground for plant and animal life to flourish again.

Mold often grows as fungi colonize porous building materials such as wood. When airborne spores from these fungi enter a building, allergy symptoms such as runny nose, itchy eyes and skin rashes occur among people sensitive to mold spores. Some mold species, like Stachybotrys chartarum (also known as black mold), can even trigger asthma in susceptible individuals. To combat mold growth in buildings, regular cleaning and moisture reduction measures are key for effective prevention; investing in dehumidifiers as well as ventilation may help regulate humidity levels effectively while consulting professionals will assess situations effectively and plan effective remediation plans accordingly.

What is the treatment for mold?

Mold can typically be removed with commercial products or even soap and water alone, although its source should also be addressed so as to prevent future regrowth. To do this effectively. Moisture issues must also be corrected so as not to invite more growth.

Mold spores need food in order to thrive and grow, and most materials found within buildings provide them with what they require for this growth. Wet cellulose materials like paper, drywall, wallpaper and wood provide ideal conditions for mold growth.

Mold growth releases airborne spores into the environment that can be inhaled by humans, leading to eye irritation, coughing and nose and throat irritation among other health effects.


For reliable mold inspections, it’s crucial to hire NYS licensed mold assessors. As part of their inspections, they should recommend licensed companies if mold removal services are required and conduct a visual assessment process including shutting all windows and HVAC systems prior to appointments for optimal spore concentration and detection.