Law

A CAR CRASH INJURED YOU- WHAT ARE YOUR LEGAL OPTIONS?

Accidents involving motor vehicles happen all the time. When an accident occurs, it is lucky that the persons involved are ready to move away with minor injuries. On the other side, others may suffer life-changing or even fatal injuries due to the collision. As a result, if you’ve been hurt in a vehicle accident and need legal representation, reach out to Redkey Gordon.

STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS 

The legal phrase “Statute of Limitations” relates to the time limit during which a lawsuit may be filed against a particular individual.

While dealing with legal matters, the “statute of limitations” is the essential factor to keep in mind. You may lose your right to sue if your case isn’t filed within an “expiration date,” which can be compared to a time limit for submitting a lawsuit.

Two essential statutes of limitations must be considered for car accidents in California.

  1. A successful personal injury claim must be filed within two years of the accident date.
  2. To be successful in a property damage case, you must file it within three years after the date of the accident.

WHAT ROLE DOES FAULT PLAY IN A CAR ACCIDENT?

There is a “pure comparative negligence” judicial system in place in California. All parties to a car accident may be held jointly and severally accountable for the event’s consequences. Consider the following: Damages total $10,000 after a car collision in which you are a passenger. 

You file a lawsuit against the other party responsible for the accident to collect some of your damages. Because you were texting and speeding, you may be held accountable for 40% of the accident because the court may determine that the other driver was only 60% at fault. Your losses will only be worth $6,000, or 60% (the same percentage of responsibility you place on the other party) as a consequence of your decision.

WHAT’S THE SITUATION WITH CAR INSURANCE?

California utilizes a “fault” system for motor insurance purposes when an accident occurs. Put another way, the individual who is “at fault” or responsible for the accident must utilize their insurance to reimburse the other party for any damages or injuries they have suffered.

To drive legally in the state, you must carry a certain liability vehicle insurance. Automobile owners are obliged to take a specific cash amount of liability insurance. For people who have been injured in a vehicle accident, liability insurance is designed to compensate them for whatever damages they have sustained. In terms of coverage, the minimal minimums are as follows:

  • If another person is injured or killed due to the accident, you’ll be covered up to $15,000.
  • There will be a fine of $30,000 if many people are harmed or killed.
  • a $5,000 settlement for damage to property

Legal counsel can help you better understand your choices if you’ve been injured in an accident that resulted in catastrophic injuries, which is why it’s so important to seek it out.

ARE THERE ANY PREPARATORY PROCEDURES YOU NEED TO DO BEFORE YOUR CASE?

To begin, you should seek medical attention for any bodily or psychological harm you’ve sustained and have the results of that treatment recorded. You should always notify your doctor or physician that you’ve been in a car accident, even if your injuries seem minor. This will allow them to treat you and record your injuries as necessary properly.

All of the relevant material, such as reports, maps, and pictures, must be gathered at this point.

As the last step, prepare to file a complaint identifying the right and guilty parties.

FINAL VERDICT 

Although car accidents seem simple at first glance, obtaining the compensation to which you are entitled requires knowledge and determination. Redkey Gordon’s experienced personal injury attorneys are ready to help you with any claim arising from a car accident. Please give them a call to set up an appointment with them right away.

Related Articles

Back to top button